Book Courtship Tag

Thanks so much to Nicki at The Secret Library Site who has tagged me in this fab tag – let the romance begin……


Phase 1: Initial Attraction (A book you bought because of the cover)

Who could not fall in love with this? I bought the hardback edition after seeing the cover on Joy Kluver's book blog who described it as 'a mixture of a thriller and a great family saga, told in a rich literary style'. But too be honest, the review could have said anything - I was already ordering it just on the cover alone.
Phase 2: First Impressions (A book you got because of the summary)

Agatha Christie, in London to visit her literary agent, boards a train, preoccupied and flustered in the knowledge that her husband Archie is having an affair. She feels a light touch on her back, causing her to lose her balance, then a sense of someone pulling her to safety from the rush of the incoming train. So begins a terrifying sequence of events. Her rescuer is no guardian angel; rather, he is a blackmailer of the most insidious, manipulative kind. Agatha must use every ounce of her cleverness and resourcefulness to thwart an adversary determined to exploit her genius for murder to kill on his behalf.

A book with Agatha Christie as the protagonist? Irresistible!
Phase 3: Sweet Talk (A book with great writing)

One of my favourite books. The writing is stunning. You can read my review here:

Phase 4: First Date (A first book of a series which made you want to pursue the rest of the series)

I don't read many series - maybe The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the only other series I have read back to back, but I did read all of the Plantagenet  / Lancaster books by Philippa Gregory and then watched the TV series avidly as well! 
Phase 5: Late Night Phone Calls (A book that kept you up all night long)

I often read late into the night, and I often want to finish a book off before going to sleep, but this, and Clare Macintosh's I Let You Go, are the only two books that I really have stayed up to finish without realising how late into the night it is getting I was so utterly gripped by the storyline. My Sister's Bones is brilliant and you can read why it kept me up all night here!
Phase 6: Always On My Mind (A book you couldn’t stop thinking about)

I loved this and told all my friends to read it. As a mother with young children who has also spent many hours at the zoo, this book really spoke to me, captured my imagination and blew me away with the writing and compelling storytelling. It really stayed with me.


7: Getting Physical (A book you love the feel of)

Say no more. The cover speaks for itself!
Phase 8: Meeting the Parents (A book you would recommend to your friends and family)

I recommend quite a lot of books (oh, ok, all books!) to my friends and family. I'm sure they appreciate it!! This is one that I have recommended recently, particularly to a friend who lives abroad in an ex-pat community. It's heartbreaking and heart lifting and without any gore, blood, serial killers and controversy, so it's a great book to recommend without having to worry about offending anyone! 



Phase 9: Thinking About the Future (A book or series that you know you’ll re-read many times in the future)

There are only a couple of books I have reread and they tend to be more classic books like Rebecca, I Capture the Castle, a Sarah Waters or a Susan Hill story. 

I love the books published by Persephone and this title, The Home Maker, is one I have recommended to people looking for book group reads so I feel like I have reread it even though I've just had a lot of different conversations with different groups of people about it. 


I've added it as although Persephone are a publishers rather than authors of a series, I frequently return to their catalogue and try to read as many of their books as possible. 

So, over to you? Which books have you fallen in love with? Feel free to join in with the Book Courtship Tag and share your romance with books! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts