The Hoader by Jess Kidd




THE HOARDER 
by JESS KIDD


Maud Drennan - underpaid carer and unintentional psychic - is the latest in a long line of dogsbodies for the ancient, belligerent Cathal Flood. Yet despite her best efforts, Maud is drawn into the mysteries concealed in his filthy, once-grand home. She realises that something is changing: Cathal, and the junk-filled rooms, are opening up to her.

With only her agoraphobic landlady and a troop of sarcastic ghostly saints to help, Maud must uncover what lies beneath Cathal's decades-old hostility, and the strange activities of the house itself. And if someone has hidden a secret there, how far will they go to ensure it remains buried?

Basically I saw this book reviewed on Ronnie Turner's Book Blog and fell in love with the cover! I was also intrigued by Ronnie's review and decided I had to read it! These book bloggers are too good at recommending all the latest and greatest books - I'm a hopeless case and my TBR pile doubles overtime I look on Twitter or get a new email from one of the many bloggers I am following, but this was a book totally worth tracking down. So impressed with the reviews for The Hoarder and praise for Jess Kidd's previous novel (not read but now bought, obviously!), I even let this book by pass my to-be-read pile and devoured it straight away!

It is a lovely read - as the beautiful, multilayered-effect cover promises, this is a book to really savour and enjoy. The story contains all my favourite ingredients - a strange house, an eclectic mix of characters, secrets in the past and a mystery.  It is quirky, with quite a unique blend of humorous writing, witty quips and insightful observations about people, alongside elements of the supernatural, ghostly and the gothic. And it absolutely works. I liked that it felt so fresh with its off beat style. I totally bought into the whole premise, especially the eccentric characters - some of which are real, others not, but all of which are intriguing and make you want to read on and find out more.

I think what makes this book equally compelling (dark mystery and sarcastic saints that lurk in the shadows aside), is the prose. The description is excellent. Kidd's depiction of Cathal's house, Bridlemere, is fantastic and I loved the detail, the imagery and the way she brings this house filled with junk, macabre memorabilia and walls made from magazines to life. I also loved the characterisation. The saints that haunt Maud and follow her about, offering wit, wisdom and advice, are so well crafted that they bring not only a wry smile to the prose but also something deeper. Maud is a hugely appealing character who the reader cannot fail to connect with and be drawn to; she's a great protagonist. Although, it has to be said that each and every character feels very three dimensional. Each is presented with the same vividness and brilliant dialogue making them all very alive in the reader's mind. 

Kidd is obviously a talented and imaginative author and I really do want to read her first novel as well as looking out for what ever she writes next. I'm still in love with the cover, but I'm also totally won over by the writing inside. The atmosphere of this novel was beautifully haunting and the prose really is very accomplished with an impressive narrative voice. This story satisfied my love for the gothic as well as a dark mystery. It also made me smile and I enjoyed the dialogue and interaction between the main characters. Kidd tells a great tale with a compelling supernatural twist as well as a very modern and very real story of mystery and a dark past. 

Definitely worth a read and I highly recommend! 

The Hoarder was published by Canongate on the 1st February 2018.

*My thanks to the publisher for an advance copy via NetGalley* 

Comments

Popular Posts