#ChrisWhitaker #Q&A #AuthorInterview


ALL THE WICKED GIRLS 

"Raine sometimes complains that nothing exciting is ever gonna happen in Grace again. Daddy told her careful what you wish for."

Everyone loves Summer Ryan. A model student and musical prodigy, she's a ray of light in the struggling small town of Grace, Alabama - especially compared to her troubled sister, Raine.

Then Summer goes missing. Grace is already simmering, and with this new tragedy the police have their hands full keeping the peace. Only Raine throws herself into the search, supported by a most unlikely ally.

But perhaps there was always more to Summer than met the eye . . .

Chris Whitaker's second novel All The Wicked Girls was published on 24th August 2017 by Bonnier Zaffre. It's an exceptional book and a powerful read. You can see my full review here.

Today I am thrilled to welcome Chris back for an interview all about his new novel! 
Thank you so much Chris for dropping by! 


All the Wicked Girls is set in America and the location feels incredibly authentic. Your attention to detail in order to create such authenticity is impressive. The names of the people and places contributes to this overall conviction of time and place. How do you choose the names of the places and the people? Are the places real or completely fictionalised? Did you research the names of people at all? 

Thank you. The story covers a real period in American history, so it was hugely important to me that it felt of its time and place. There was a lot research done before and during writing.
I had such a strong visual of the town itself. The story touches on religion and faith, but in the wake of economic hardship the people of the town are very much struggling. The book tackles some difficult issues, but on the whole I wanted my characters to have real heart. For the most part they are good people having a shit time of it. Grace was a perfect fit. It hints at what the town once was, pretty and neighbourly, and all the good things I imagine of the South. 
There’s one road in and out of the town, and I chose to call it Hallow Road because it’s where the divide of light and dark is in the story. Hallow means to make holy, and at the end of this road you have Grace, which has been cast into darkness. I just loved the imagery of it.  

Summer and Raine were named after their perceived characteristics, almost as if Summer was thrust into the light from birth. They’re both much more alike than their names suggest.

As for other character names, I use genealogy websites to help, and then whittle a list down and see what fits.

One thing that makes this novel quite unique and original is the use of dialect and accent. What challenges did this present to you as a British author? How did you research this and how did this decision affect things like editing and proof-reading?

It was an absolute nightmare. A complete and utter nightmare. The worst of nightmares.
I wanted to totally immerse the reader in the story. I wanted someone to sit down and journey to 90s Grace, and though I was very aware that it could make for a challenging read, the best way I saw to do that was to ensure the dialogue, and narrative, was Southern.  

I spent days listening to Alabamans speak. I wanted to capture the rhythm and the tone. And obviously there’s variations, like all Londoners don’t sound the same, so there’s subtle differences in the way my characters speak. It would have been easy to simply drop all the g’s, fishin’, sleepin’ etc. But not all words are pronounced that way at all times, if that makes any sense. And dialect changes with mood, anger/passion brings out a deeper drawl in certain characters.

And then we had the issue of Summer. She’s narrating her chapters, so we’re effectively in her head, meaning her narrative is technically dialogue. And I, and the long suffering Bec Farrell (editor) agonised over what to do here. We knew at first glance it might be hard to follow, but we went with it, we committed, no punches are pulled. Summer is authentically Summer, and I know it was the right decision.   

All The Wicked Girls is complex and multilayered with several key characters. Can you tell me a bit about how you plan your novels and keep track of the various threads and narratives?

My writing process is a total shitshow. I got so hopelessly lost writing this book. It soured my mood for months. I remember sitting down with my wife and saying I just didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t finish, I couldn’t get close to the finish. I had this perfect, vivid story in my mind, where I could see the town and the square and I could hear the people. But it was just noise. That feeling where you can’t think straight, I wrote the whole book in that frame of mind. So the planning came late, once I had the voices right I began to map out how they might fit together. And I had total faith in my editors and my early reader (thank you, Liz) to keep the story tight and on the right track.

Personally, as a reader, plot comes a very distant second to the quality of writing and the characterisation. If I sat down and mapped out an intricate plot on a spreadsheet, I think I’d find it very hard to deviate from that plan, even once I got to know my characters better. I wouldn’t want to be a slave to it. I’ve read books where a character will suddenly do something implausible to fit with the twist etc, and it totally pulls me out of the story.

Give me a story full of heart. That’s what I want to read so that’s what I try and write. 

There is quite a cast of characters in your book. Which character was your favourite / easiest / most challenging to write? 

Noah and Purv were the most fun, though their story tugged at the heart strings.  

Summer, she was so so difficult. Not just because I, a man in his thirties living in the UK, was writing in the first person as a 15 year old southern girl, but just because she’s so incredibly lost. She has this vision of the way she wants the world to see her. She bakes cookies and goes to church, plays the cello and reads endless books. She takes her ideas from the masters of philosophy but she doesn’t really know what they mean. And then her relationship with Pastor Bobby. That was tough to write. I worried I’d taken it too far, that we didn’t need to know the details. And I didn’t want it to be ugly, this girl and this man, having this relationship in view of God. But we’re in Summer’s head, and she wouldn’t censor her own thoughts and feelings.

Favourite? Raine. All heart and no head. I can relate.  

You have now written two books set in America. Are you influenced at all by American Literature or American Noir?

I think so. A lot of my favourite authors are American. The Road is one of my all-time faves, and I’m a huge fan of Dennis Lehane and John Hart. Stephen King is the master, his characterisation is something I greatly admire. I didn’t set out to emulate anyone, but then I suppose we draw influence without even realising.

There are several references to literature in the novel and a few specific titles. These are obviously very intentionally and specifically chosen for the story but are they books which are important to you as well?

A mix. Whilst they’re very much of Summer’s choosing, many of her favourites are mine too. The books she mentions throughout, they are just stories she tries to relate to her own life. Maybe she draws parallels with Dolores in Lolita, or maybe she sees Samson in The Power and the Glory. She reads these epic novels and wants to feel connected to them. Her life is just one long search for meaning.   

What's next for you? Will you be writing another book set in America? Are you working on anything at the moment? 

I’ve had a couple of months break from crime writing but have tentatively began to think about book 3. It’s not set in America, but beyond that I’m long way from being able to give any details.
There won’t be a new book from me until at least 2019. Please don’t forget me!  

As if!! I don't think there is ever any danger of that happening! Thank you so much for such a great interview and fantastic answers. All The Wicked Girls really is a story full of heart, as is Tall Oaks. Thank you for coming along today and I wish you luck with both your published books and your third story idea! 




Everyone has a secret in Tall Oaks . . .

When three-year-old Harry goes missing, the whole of America turns its attention to one small town. Everyone is eager to help. Everyone is a suspect.

Desperate mother Jess, whose grief is driving her to extreme measures.

Newcomer Jared, with an easy charm and a string of broken hearts in his wake.

Photographer Jerry, who's determined to break away from his controlling mother once and for all.

And, investigating them all, a police chief with a hidden obsession of his own . . .

You can read my review of Chris' debut novel Tall Oaks here.



For more recommendations and reviews follow me on Twitter @KatherineSunde3 or via my blog bibliomaniacuk.blogspot.co.uk or website bibliomaniacuk.co.uk

Comments

Popular Posts